Pritzker’s office ‘extremely troubled’ by photo with suspect ‘peacekeeper’
(The Center Square) – Officials from the governor’s office say they were “extremely troubled” to learn that a man that Gov. J.B. Pritzker was pictured with was charged with murder.
CWB Chicago reported that Kellen McMiller is a suspect in last week’s deadly smash-and-grab burglary on Chicago’s Magnificent Mile and faces murder charges. Before the crime, McMiller was pictured with Gov. J.B. Pritzker at an event promoting so-called “peacekeepers,” groups paid by tax dollars to help intervene in crime.
Pritzker’s office said while they are troubled the man in the picture is allegedly involved in a serious crime, they expect the person to be held accountable.
“The Governor meets hundreds of people in communities every week and is often asked to take photos,” a spokesperson for the governor told The Center Square. “We were extremely troubled to learn that this individual was arrested for his alleged involvement in this serious crime, and we expect them to be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law.”
Pritzker’s office said the governor will continue to work at fighting crime.
“The Governor will keep doing everything in his power to fight crime, keep our neighborhoods safe, and support community violence intervention, which have been proven to work,” the statement said. “For example, the Peacekeepers Program has a strong track record reducing violent crime by 41% over the past two years and providing community members with a path towards rehabilitation.”
Critics are skeptical that such “peacekeeper” programs work.
Retired Riverside, Illinois, Police Chief Thomas Weitzel said many so-called “peacekeepers” have criminal backgrounds.
“When you see these individuals being arrested by [Chicago police] and they’re also participating in violent crimes, I mean, what does that say?” Weitzel asked.
State Rep. La Shawn Ford, D-Chicago, said peacekeepers play a role.
“I don’t shut the door on people who have had transgressions in the past, I say that we have to be very selective,” Ford told The Center Square.
Two other anti-violence workers have also recently made news for alleged criminal actions.
Ford defended using tax dollars for so-called “peacekeeper” groups, but said there’s room for improvement.
“We should fine tune the efforts and make sure that we spend the money in areas where we know the violence is high,” Ford said.
Pritzker’s office said the Illinois Office of Firearm Violence Prevention has spent more than $375 million to reduce violence and support community violence intervention programs.
###
Latest News Stories
Dr. Marie Hansel Appointed to Fill Vacancy on Beecher School Board
Beecher School Board Approves Amended Budget, New Staff Hires
Meeting Summary and Briefs: Beecher Board of Education for May 14, 2025
Washington Township Tables Decision on $11,000+ Security Upgrade, Seeks More Details
Washington Township Approves $2,500 in Sponsorships for Beecher EMS, July 4th Celebration
Washington Township to Continue Annual Senior Breakfast Amid Post-COVID Attendance Changes
Meeting Summary and Briefs: Washington Township Board of Trustees for May 5, 2025
County Approves $4.3 Million Purchase of Wetland Banking Credits for Highway Projects
Meeting Summary and Briefs: Beecher Fire Protection District Board of Trustees for March 20, 2025
Beecher Fire District to Hire New Lieutenant, Approves Updated Appointment Process
Labor Representative Addresses County Committee on Public Transportation Reform Efforts
Committee Advances $1.7 Million Upgrade Plan for River Valley Juvenile Detention Center