SNAP benefits still in limbo as government shutdown likely nears end
Food assistance for thousands of Coloradans is still on hold as the federal government shutdown drags to a possible resolution.
This comes after the U.S. Supreme Court ordered a pause on the release of November benefits for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. On Tuesday, the court extended that pause until Thursday night.
This is just the latest chapter in the ongoing legal battle over SNAP benefits, which began with the government shutdown on Oct. 1.
The turmoil has left Colorado officials and families uncertain about what next steps look like as the government shutdown continues, though some say it could end as soon as Wednesday evening.
Prior to the pause by the U.S. Supreme Court, Colorado had already released full November SNAP benefits to tens of thousands of Coloradans, following a lower court’s order. Now, those benefits are once again paused.
“Costs keep going up for everyone, and we hope either the American justice system works quickly to allow us to get funds out to hungry Coloradans as soon as possible, or the Trump administration drops its appeal,” said Colorado Gov. Jared Polis following the announcement. “This episode of The Twilight Zone needs to end, and Americans deserve access to food.”
Funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, SNAP provides food subsidies, also known as food stamps, to roughly 42 million Americans nationwide. Monthly, approximately 617,000 Coloradans receive at least $120 million in SNAP benefits.
Since the government shutdown first began, the Colorado state government has moved forward with stop-gap funding for taxpayer-funded programs. Just last week, the state’s Joint Budget Committee approved two emergency appropriations requests from Polis.
One funded up to $10 million in emergency General Fund support for food pantries and banks throughout the state, while the other allowed up to $7.5 million in previously-approved funding to maintain Colorado operations for the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children.
Even once the shutdown ends, Colorado will not be refunded any funds it spent in lieu of the federal government.
Both Republicans and Democrats are passing blame for the shutdown, which is the first since 2018. It is also the longest in U.S. history.
Republicans point out that, though they control both the U.S. House and Senate, they need seven Democrats in the Senate to meet the 60-vote requirement to pass a budget and end the government shutdown.
Both Colorado U.S. Senators Michael Bennet and John Hickenlooper continue to vote against reopening the government.
“Our fight isn’t over,” said Hickenlooper on Tuesday. “We’re not backing down.”
Latest News Stories
Revenues from energy production at $14.6B for 2025
IL congressman’s retirement announcement sparks calls for election fixes
WATCH: Trump calls Pritzker ‘fat slob;’ Talk of reviving progressive tax criticized
Illinois quick hits: Man arrested for threating legislator; vigilance urged during shopping season
County Takes Over “Central Will” Dial-A-Ride in Major Consolidation
Board Denies Appeal for “Tiny Home” RV Living in Crete
JJC Board Censures Trustee Broderick Twice, Denies Request to Restore Good Standing
Americans prepare to spend $1 trillion this holiday shopping season
Gas prices ahead of Thanksgiving holding steady
Illinois quick hits: Migrant youth allegedly murdered homeless Chicago man
Will County Board Compromises on Mental Health Levy, Approves $10 Million After Debate
Green Garden’s Wildflower Farm Granted Second Extension for Rural Events Permit
Will County Board Rejects Proposed Tax Hike, Approves 0% Levy Increase in Contentious Vote
Will County Awards $10.4 Million Contract for Bell Road Widening Project